Monday, March 15, 2004

Yesterday

Saw Pride and Prejudice with a group of friends and thought I must be the only living person in Europe that'd never seen it before, but then Satu came and apparently she'd never seen it before either. I'd never read the book, either, and therefore didn't understand a lot of things until Anu explained them to me. It was a very good series, too, even though it was supposed to be very romantic and its romanticism did not quite work for me. Mr Darcy looked severely constipated all the time, and, besides, I kept remembering Bridget Jones's fictional interview with Colin Firth in Bridget Jones: the edge of reason where he tells her that the director told him to imagine that Mr Darcy has a permanent huge erection.

I think that the only movie where Victorian romanticism has ever worked for me was The Age of Innocence. It might have had something to do with the fact that some characters' problems were close to mine at the moment, or with the two little bottles of wine and two of cognac that I had enjoyed on the plane right before seeing the movie.

After the movie had a few drinks and a good conversation with Anu and Satu, and then watched Ringu by myself. It was well worth watching but wasn't really scary as they promised, more thrillery-like.


No comments: