Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Lukashenka

Belarussian dictator, oops, I mean president Alexander Lukashenka has put one of the opposition leaders, Anatoly Lebedko, in jail for criticizing Lukashenka. Even though criticizing the president is only punished by 5 years in prison in that citadel of democracy and free speech, Lebedko is being threatened with life in prison.

Lukashenka has also amended the constitution, so that now only a person who has had at least 5 years' experience as the president of Belarus can serve as the president. OK, just kidding. But he did make the Constitutional Court decide that he can run and be elected for the third term, in direct violation of the Constitution of Belarus, article 97(1), which says: "The President shall be elected directly by the people of the Republic of Belarus. The President's term of office shall be five years. The same person may be President for no more than two terms."

Anyway, here is an old Russian joke about Lukashenka:

Bush, Putin and Lukashenka go for a walk. Suddenly God jumps out of a burning bush, tells them that the end of the world will come in two weeks, and orders them to inform their people about it. They comply:
Bush: "My fellow Americans! I have good news and bad news for you. The good news is that there is a God, the bad news is that the world will end in two weeks.
Putin: "My fellow Russians! I have bad news and bad news for you. The first bad news is that there is a God, and the second bad news is that the world will end in two weeks.
Lukashenka: "My fellow Belarussians! I have good news and good news for you. The first good news is that God himself has recognized me as the president of Belarus, and the second good news is that I'll be your president till the end of the world.

No comments: