Saturday, March 27, 2004

Life, again

Spent a nice evening with Killeri yesterday. He thinks I can purr fairly well for a human. He himself did a reasonably good imitation of emacs shrink for a human. We went to see Etulijan edessä. It was a fairly good movie although I can see some ways in which it could have been better. I did not expect it to be in Swedish, but it was, and I even understood some, although of course was helped by subtitles. They had native or near-native Russian speakers playing all the Russians, and apparently some native Russian wrote Russian parts of the script, or at least they swear in a very natural way all the time.

It never ceases to amuse me how easy it is to root for the "good guys" of a movie quite regardless of whether you consider them to be good guys in real life. Especially if it's a war movie, but also otherwise. Well, these guys were "good guys" in real life too, IMO, but it's also easy to root for Germans in German books and movies, although of course in German books and movies the good German soldiers in WWII are never real Nazis. Which makes me think that I would really like to see a Palestinian movie, especially a war movie.

Killeri is not sure whether he wants to see The Passion of the Christ because of all the violence and Aramaic. Funny, for me Aramaic is the main reason why I might want to see it. This being a Hollywood movie, the violence is probably not up to my spoiled-by-Asian-cinema standards anyway.

Today I woke up with a bit of hangover, which is very unfair since I have done absolutely nothing to deserve it last night. I think I'll catch up today. So far it has been a lazy day. Did not go to Krav Maga, went to the library and Lidl. Got, among other things, four plays by Frisch and Durrenmatt in German, which is quite ambitous as cannot really speak any German. Lidl is a good store even though they have too little selection. They have good sausage and cheap tea and cow candy (sort of soft fudge for those of you who don't know). Their beer is good if you like light lager and you like it cheap, but I don't. I mean, light lager is all right but since I drink maybe 5 bottles of it a year the price is not an issue.

No comments: