Monday, March 08, 2004

Movies (no spoilers)

Saw Paycheck a few days ago. I expected it to be bad, because IMO quality of John Woo's movies has been going down since Face/Off, but it was surprisingly good, fast-paced in exactly the right way and interesting. Good enough to keep the viewer (myself, anyway) properly excited at all times. Just like a proper thriller should be.

Yesterday finally saw The Last Samurai. Was quite a watchable movie, even though probably not particularly historically accurate. OTOH I generally find movies that feature men on horses with big swords watchable, especially when feeling tired and lazy. Women on on horses with big swords would do too, but there wasn't any in this movie. This being a Hollywood movie I did not expect to see any cute guys and was pleasantly surprised to see Hiroyuki Sanada there.

There was also a trailer of Blueberry which was nice and made me think I want to see that movie even if that means having to look at Vincent Cassel's face for two hours, but after reading viewer's comments on IMDB I am not so sure.

Speaking about trailers, when I went to a movie last week they had a really awful trailer of Twins that had about every spoiler one could give for that movie. Ugh.

Ordered Divided we Fall yesterday. It's a strange Czech movie with a boring run-of-the-mill Holocaust movie beginning (nothing against Holocaust movies, I like watching them, but this one begins like one of those made-straight-for-video low-budget we-can't-afford-proper-cameras Holocaust movies) that gets progressively better and better and is very good at the end.


No comments: