Tuesday, March 02, 2004

My first car...

...was an Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser 1981 station wagon. It was huge. Once I gave a ride in it to 12 people from a party: 4 (including myself) were in the front seat, 6 in the back seat and 3 in the back.

The car ate 6 miles per gallon, which is something like 40 liters per 100 kilometers. Cutlass Cruiser is not really supposed to it that, but there was something wrong with this car. It also ran all by itself. As soon as you turn the ignition on and put the car in drive it would accelerate without pressing the gas pedal, except that it wouldn't because you'd have your foot on the brake and would stop it or slow it down. If you were not trying to go faster that 40 miles per hour you did not need the gas pedal for anything.

Sergey, a Russian guy who fixed cars, offered to fix the problem with gas consumption and the car running by itself, and did, but after that the car stopped running in general. It ran a bit, but turned itself off every time I stopped at a red light or in traffic, which made driving very annoying and earned me my first Nazi accusation when it broke down in the middle of the Orthodox Jewish part of town and a couple of guys there saw it as a sign of antisemitism.

I would have discussed this matter seriously with Sergey and asked them to fix it back, but the same week the car died in an unrelated accident which is a totally different story, and way too unprintable even by my standards.

No comments: