Monday, March 29, 2004

Chosen people

In the USA when strangers come up to you and try to convert you to their brand of Christianity, saying that you are Jewish usually makes them understand that they are not about to get lucky, and they leave. In Finland, however, telling proselytizing Christians that you are Jewish just tends to excite them even more. Most of them have probably never seen a real live Jew in their lives, and, much more surprisingly, most of them believe that Jews are chosen people.

Once in a while I run into these people and they start telling me that we are the chosen people and that the good Lord loves us in every orifice. How the hell do I react? When Jews (apart from the very religious ones) start talking among themselves about being the chosen people, it is always a joke, and the normal response is along the lines of "could he choose somebody else for a little while, please?" What the hell do I say to people who really believe that Jews are the chosen people? And how do I refrain from giggling when saying it? I understand that they are trying to be nice, and I don't want to be rude, but the whole idea is so ridiculous....

Somehow, I don't think that "yes, the Lord has chosen us to receive free beer from the infidels" would work...

If we really were the chosen people I am sure god would have made it clear with an appropriate commandment to the infidels: "When thou seest a Jew with an empty glass in a bar, thou shalt offer him or her a glass or Kasteel, some trappist beer or dark Velkopopovicke. But do not offer Guinness, for it is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord".


No comments: