Sunday, April 04, 2004

Yellow drink party

Yesterday we were tasting yellow drinks. None of them were good; three of the eight were somehow drinkable. They were an orange bitter that I suspected to be a cheap version of Mandarin Napoleon, some Scotch whisky that was not one of my favorites, and a Russian brandy named Vodka Starka. The rest of the abominations were Becherovka, Punssi from Alko, Galliano, which Jarno guessed right and I guessed wrong, Pernod, which smelled so horrible that I did not dare taste it, and something that smelled like pine detergent and probably tasted like it, except that I haven't ever tasted pine detergent.

Remind me to skip out when they are tasting green drinks.

Pia had some hair-dyeing accident in which the hair got dyed some color that Pia deems inappropriate. Because of this she was trying to wear a hat, which was funny, because the hair was just a couple of shades off (she likes light ash blond and it came out yellowish blond, quite pretty in itself but not what she wanted) and the hat was truly horrible; finally I managed to convince her to use a hair band instead.

People are getting old. Marja and Hannu did not make it there since their kid did not want to part with the video, and Mickael and Ville never turned up.

Jarno and Lena were there, though, and it was very nice to see them, except that Lena tried to speak Russian with me all the time and Jarno rather obviously felt left out. Set up time to see Lena, just the two of us and speaking Russian in peace, but obviously this might make Jarno feel even more left out. I don't know what is the proper etiquette for speaking Russian to a girlfriend of an old (and good though not very close) friend without making him feel left out. Asked Jarno to visit me sometime, but he is the kind of person who is easier to find and get to come to drink ex tempore than to set a time with.


No comments: