Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Still sick

Did not go to work today either after spending most of the night up and coughing. But feeling much better.

Went for a walk to buy tissues, partially because of the suspicion that as soon as I buy them I won't need them anymore. Could have of course pretended to be very sick and asked Killeri to buy them for me and bring them here, but I think he would've figured out my cunning plan as soon as I would've experienced miraculous recovery and tried to drag him in the bed. Bummer.

Have some swamp eel (Monopterus albus) and trying to figure out how to cook it. Googling mostly brings up a lot of pages that tell me that the fish in question is a big ecological problem in Florida. If that is indeed the case, they can catch the eels, freeze them and send them to me. They are not going to be an ecological problem in my fridge. I think I'll cook them in sorrel sauce like any other eel.

About sorrel: Finns are infidels and don't eat it, which also means they don't sell it. (That's suolaheinä for you infidels). If not for the Russian store I'd have to live without. Sniff.

Attention all serious chocolate-lovers with financial means: Goldkenn is finally here. It's been around for years, in ferries' tax-frees and suchlike, but now Ekberg has got a very proper selection. They have gold bars (bars of very hazelnutty chocolate which is also very good, and considering that I normally strongly dislike hazelnuts in general and hazelnutty chololate in particular it's a fairly big thing of me to say), cigarettes (cigarette-shaped chocolates, somewhat overpriced), truffle bars and liquor-filled chocolate bars (kind of like the Lindt ones they sell in Stockmann, but much better).

Been reading Dershowitz's The Genesis of Justice, where he argues that various stories of injustice in the book of Genesis gave birth to the modern Western concept of morality. Not sure I agree, but it's an interesting book nevertheless.

On justice and religion: dear Lord, remember I asked you to smite the people who smoke on the stairs? Please! Please!


No comments: