Monday, February 09, 2004

Valentine's day

As everyone can see from changes in the chocolate selection in the stores, Valentine's day is coming. Here they call it ystävänpäivä (friend's day) but the idea is the same. I don't celebrate it unless I have to, and luckily for me Killeri doesn't either, so I don't have to.

Valentine's day is a kind of a negative chocolate holiday: stores sell the same kinds of chocolate as usually, but it is shaped as hearts, wrapped in red paper and foil, and is more expensive than usual. Whereas Christmas is a positive chocolate holiday: new and better kinds of chocolate appear in stores, and when the infidels (sorry, Christians, my use of this word is largely humoristic but I think this humor does not come very well across in written text, and smileys in the middle of a sentence tend to look weird) fail to buy it all on time, the prices drop.


No comments: