Thursday, February 26, 2004

Krav Maga

Argh, the test is next week and I am probably gonna fail it. Today we were strangling each other and doing ukemis. I can do ukemis almost right but not quite: I fall on my ass. Tried it many times and many ways, but no matter what I do the ass touches the mat first. Not that it hurts or anything.

Some of the techniques they teach are clearly unsuitable for people who are much smaller than their opponent. When we were practicing strangling while the victim is lying down on his/her back and the attacker is sitting on top on the victim, Laura (my sparring partner today) had serious problems trying to throw me off. I hope that if there were a real attacker she'd be helped by large amounts of real adrenaline.

Laura is about 20, and she said that she has never been assaulted and wondered why I have been assaulted so many times. I said "well, I am a bit older" and then realized that apart from a crazy guy in a bar 8 or 9 years ago all the assaults on me have happened when I was younger than she is now. The obvious difference is, of course, that she grew up in Finland and I grew up in a nasty shithole of a country further east.


No comments: