Saturday, February 21, 2004

Restaurants and boring evil me

Apart from smoking, the two things I dislike about restaurants and bars are music and candles. Music has its places - a dancing place would look pretty stupid without it - but what's the point of music in a place where people just want to sit and drink? Especially loud music. And candles, well, I just dislike them. It's not a problem usually: I extinguish the candle at my own table and it does not bother me that other people have them on theirs. The only problem is when the waiters try to light them again, and as soon as I tell them that I don't want it lit some other waiter shows up and I have to explain it all over again. I just always wonder why so many people like them: they smell, they are likely to set your sleeves on fire if you are careless and their light is not nearly as good as electric lights.

No, I am not proposing to ban music or candles. One thing that I would like to see banned though are those huge candlelike things that some restaurants have outside in winter. Huge fucking fires, right outside during the time when sidewalk is slippery and in the country where many people's balance is not very good around restaurants at night anyway. I wonder how many people actually fall on those and whether the restaurants are punished if or when that happens.

What I want from a restaurant is a nice place to sit, a good selection of booze and, if it happens to be a food restaurant, good food.


No comments: