Thursday, February 05, 2004

Computer stupidity

Ilkka has posted a link to a hilarious site called Computer Stupidities. They are not accepting new submissions due to a backlog, but still I feel like posting one more story like that:

3 years ago I decided to have a cable modem installed in Boston. Here in Helsinki they just give you a cable modem and an instructions booklet, but Boston's RCN just has to send an actual live human every time. RCN webpage says they don't support Linux, and that was fine with me, but when I called them to make an appointment and they asked what operating system I have they swallowed my response without any comments.

In the morning the cable modem guy appears. He brings the modem, connects it to the cable, the computer and an electrical outlet and comes up to the computer. He sees a Linux console with a login prompt and presses "enter". He gets another login prompt. He presses it once more, with the same result, and once more. He looks up at me.

RCN guy: "How do I get to the Windows screen?"
Me: "You don't. It's a Linux."
RCN guy: "But you have Windows installed on your computer, right?"
Me: "No, it's a Linux."
RCN guy: "But you are going to have Windows installed on your system?"
Me: "No, I am not. Look, I know you don't really support Linux and that's OK, I'll take it from here. Thanks."
RCN guy: "But they told me you have Windows 98!"
Me: "They were wrong, I told them I have Linux, but that's OK."
RCN guy: "But I don't know how to install a DHCP client on this!"
Me: "That's OK, I do, and it's already installed anyway."
RCN guy: "Are you sure you are gonna be OK? No, I have to install it! I'll call my supervisor."

He calls his supervisor, talks with him for a while, the supervisor has never heard of Linux either, and apparently the supervisor asks what it looks like, because the RCN guy utters the most memorable sentence of all this exchange: "It's just a black screen with white letters on it."

RCN guy: "I am sorry, my supervisor doesn't know how to install it either."
Me: "No problem. It's installed."
RCN guy: "Oh, I am so sorry! But please call us if you have any problems with the installation."

No comments: