Monday, September 20, 2004

Gozu

Went to see Gozu on Friday. It turned out to be in Japanese without subtitles. At first the audience just giggled, then some people went to find Someone and tell them about the absence of subtitles, and about 20 minutes after the beginning it was announced that the only copy they have indeed has no subtitles, and that we can go or stay, but we'll get free tickets for that anyway.

Kalle (not Killeri, the other one) and I decided to stay. Didn't understand a lot. I understood most of the grammatical particles and several forms of the verb "to be", which was linguistically delightful but not conductive to the understanding of the movie.

The movie was rather tasteless, which is why I went to see it in the first place, and fairly surrealistic in a way that I did not like. From what Kalle said I am not likely to like other Takashi Miike's movies either. I love movie violence when it is fast, involves kicks, guns or swords and makes blood flow all over the screen; I don't care much to see slow torture in horror and semihorror movies, at least not most of the time.

R&A tried to compensate everyone with free tickets, but they should understand that a festival is an event where people see a limited amount of movies in a limited amount of time, and if you run out either of time or of interesting movies there is not a lot of use for a free ticket. Using my usual intimidation techniques I got my money back and posted about it on an R&A forum to encourage other people to do the same; maybe I should get some official opinion from the consumer protection office and post it somewhere for everyone to see.


No comments: