Friday, June 25, 2004

Juhannus

Went to grill at Killeri's place. Brought a lot of meat, just in case. Ate it all, like it usually happens at a grill party. Was so full that couldn't even get drunk, which is probably just as well. Kristiina made a delicious but small cake. I helped a little, and I swear it did not seem small when it was in the process of being made.

It was a good party. Not too large, good friends, including two that I rarely see in person, a good grill, etc. I was expecting possible tensions between two people, but luckily nothing happened. Leena had the mother of all weird wine bottles with her, but what came out of it was perfectly normal white wine.

Started suddenly feeling very shitty at the end. Apparently one pill of Claritin is not enough. By the time I figured I better take another one it was too late. My fucked-up don't-eat-too-much-pills doctors-are-trying-to-poison-you upbringing tends to override doctors' advice sometimes in situations when the doctor's advice is "take them as you need them and don't worry what it says on the bottle; the side effects of taking too much are likely to be less trouble than the effect of taking too little". The effect of taking too little is, in this case, continuous severe coughing.

Kristiina was giving Anu a ride and decided to drive me home too, which was very nice considering how far from there I live. On the way Kristiina and Anu heard some nostalgic old songs on the radio and rejoiced (this word is somehow out of style here, but that's what they did). It was great to watch even though I'd never heard half of the songs and did not care much for the other half, either. Anu looked at the sunset and said that this is a perfect Juhannus night, and I was glad she did, because I was thinking the same but would have never said it myself.

Now at home, ate a truckload of drugs (the kind that you get from a pharmacy, not the other kind) and feel much better. Might have some tea and go to bed.


No comments: