Tuesday, June 01, 2004

The Day After Tomorrow (little spoilers)

Went to see The Day After Tomorrow yesterday. This is the first time I went to see a movie just for special effects, and I was not disappointed: the special effects were quite special indeed. The characters and the plot were, well, about the same quality as in Independece Day, and I did not expect any better. What I liked the best was the special effect where cold air deep-freezes everything and everyone pretty much instantly. Wonder if I can have some of their magic super-heat-conductive air for the instant cooling of the sparkling wine that Alko insists on selling at room temperature?

Finally bought Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo on DVD. Extended version and everything, but unfortunately no Italian sound. Maybe will buy this separately. It has a pretty good comment track by some movie expert whose name I don't recall right now. Wish there were a comment track by Leone himself but he can't do it on account of being dead.

Watched a bit of Mort d'un pourri, too. It's a 1977 French crime movie that I used to like a lot, and this is the first time I was watching the original French version without subtitles or anything. The language was at times too hard for me when they were discussing complicated bureaucratic stuff in French, but I liked it anyway. Gotta watch the rest of it.


No comments: