Sunday, August 08, 2004

Hot

Too hot for any kind of normal life, really. Was 26 degrees outside today. Is 27-28 inside my apartment all the fucking day and night. My freezer keeps melting all the time, and the fridge is all wet. Just had my 7th cold shower of the day, it helped, but not for long.

Worst of all, can't sleep properly. I keep waking up every few hours for another cold shower. Feel awfully dehydrated and salt-depleted all the time.

Heat sucks.

Had a nice girls' night out on Friday (a couple of boys appeared at some point too), but got way too dehydrated. Saw a green bus that said "Jesus on tour".

Saturday was three friends' graduation party in a sauna. Liked it a lot but was very tired so had to bugger off to bed fairly early. The funny moment of the evening for me happened when I tried to recommend the meringue cake to Tuija ("hey, it's great, grab it while it's still there!") and it turned out to be her own. Gotta ask her about the recipe.

Killeri came over today, and then we went to visit Ville and Leena. They fed us some really good steak and wine. Leena has got a new haircut, which is a bit perverse looking but she likes it.

Talked a bit about IQ in relation to some article in Helsingin Sanomat. Some guy had tried to measure average IQs in different countries. The articles gives lots of numbers, but never the scale of the test, its standard deviation. I think there should be a special place in hell for journalists who write about IQ with numbers but without any mention of the standard deviation.

Some people say one can train for IQ tests, but I never managed to raise my own IQ test scores by training. But if this is true for some people, I wonder whether one can do IQ-comparing research by training the subjects and then measuring the IQs after the training. That would take care of at least some of the problem of culture-specific tests, but would make research a lot more expensive.


No comments: