Wednesday, August 18, 2004

The evil constipated computer

My computer got constipated last night, and then this night again. Both time I woke up to it (I wonder why) and tried to see what's wrong. Which was not easy, considering that the degree of constipation was such that ps -ef took half an hour to run.

The weird thing is that nothing seems to be wrong. ps -ef is not showing anything unusual, and neither is top. Nothing seems to be using a lot of processor time, or a lot of memory. The problem happened both times when the computer was idle for a while at night, and does not happen when it is idle during the daytime. Daily cron was my suspect number one, but it seems to contain nothing suspicious, and moreover, nothing new. The only new thing in my computer the other day was the microphone, but it's hard to imagine it can do that.

What is it that makes computers very slow and does not show up as a process?


No comments: