Friday, January 09, 2004

Sex and talking about it

Meira is asking how come talking about sex (as opposed to joking about sex) is such a taboo among our friends that they find it impossible even to mention having had sex with their own SO.

Is that really the case? I know that one thing that inhibits people (or at least me) from talking about sex seriously is that they assume that their partner(s) wouldn't like them to talk about it, and can't bother to ask permission, at least not if the conversation involves some intimate details.

I think that the reason why people don't talk much about sex even without revealing private things about the other person is that sex with one's partner is usually not an event that is interesting enough to mention. I do sometimes casually refer to sex with Killeri in the context of "are you coming with us to see that movie - no, we'll just stay in and have sex", but I don't usualy talk about our sex life because there is no new information in it: everyone who knows us knows we are having sex, and we are not doing it in any unusual way that would be worthy of reporting.

Now, if I went to an orgy with 15 people, or if Killeri and I had sex under the table during the meeting of the board of IKI ry, that would be newsworthy. Or if something else unusual happened. I still whine sometimes about that one time when I tried to have sex in a forest with my then-boyfriend and got bitten in the clitoris by a mosquito.

No comments: