Thursday, January 22, 2004

Krav Maga

Had a real problem getting up and getting my ass to Krav Maga today, on account of seeing nasty nightmares all night. Why do other people see nice dreams and I only see nightmares? Luckily this does not happen very often, but still.

Getting my ass there was worth it, it was a good session. I could almost do a push-up, too. We were taught to fall down backwards and take most of the impact on upper back and shoulders, but I and many others kept falling ass first. The teacher remarked philosophically "the heaviest part hits the ground first". But it does not hurt much to land on the ass: my ass has a lot of muscle, a good fat layer, and many years of experience of me falling on it.

The falling position that they teach is one that is very easy to get up from, but they teach to fight lying on the ground from there. Sort of makes sense, since a kick from the ground up packs so much power, but it's hard to keep your feet towards the attackers if there is more than one.

No comments: