Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Borya

My cousin Borya, who lives in Haifa, called me right after the New Year. That was the first time we were talking since 1988, I think, and it was nice to hear from him.

His first question was "when are you getting married?", which was a strange question under the circumstances, and strange timing, too. I answered that I have a boyfriend that I like very much, and no immediate plans of marriage.
We talked a bit about life, but not very successfully since my land line was not working and ever since switching to Radiolinja talking on the cell phone to anyone outside Finland has been difficult.

Yesterday we talked again, and this time I had a land line. His first question was "when are you having a baby?". (He does not know that I don't like them.) "Never," - I answered cheerfully. "Why?" - asked Borya, being clearly unsure of whether to offer condolences. "Don't like them." He read me a lecture about how I was so very wrong, which went one in one with the lecture I have once received from aunt Rimma, whom Borya probably doesn't even know. In the end he ordered me to tell Killeri to work on it. I told Borya that I absolutely agree that Killeri should work on it as often as possible, but a baby is still quite unlikely due the pills, the IUD, and the abortion that I'll have should the pills and the IUD simultaneously fail.

Baby lecture nonwithstanding it was nice to talk to him. Should do it more often.


No comments: