Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Stress, ice cream and ulkomaalaisvirasto

Must be stressed out somehow, although not sure why. Keep seeing nightmares.

Went to see Marja and Hannu yesterday and had some ice cream at their place. Hadn't seen them for a while. Somehow I tend to get am impression that I don't see the old Aspekti people often, but they all see each other all the time, but then when I see them and ask them about each other, it turns out that they don't see each other either. Should have a party or something, except that I am definitely not having any big parties at my place until they get the door fixed.

Marja and Hannu were nice to see, and would be nice to see again in the near future. I did not manage to teach Kauri to give people a finger although I threatened to.

Called ulkomaalaisvirasto this morning, and even got through. Wanted their opinion on whether or not an existing temporary residence permit prevents a person from receiving a permament one. They have 3-year temporaries nowadays, and I wanted to know what happens if a person becomes eligible for a permanent residence permit while there is still two years' worth left in his or her temporary - will they give a permanent or will they make the person wait until the temporary one expires? The law expresses no opinion on that matter, and neither does their webpage. The woman who answered me went to consult with their lawyer for a while and then told me that yes, they will give a person a permanent residence permit even if a temporary one is still valid for a couple of years. I wouldn't take their word for it without getting this answer in writing, though.


No comments: