Thursday, July 01, 2004

A night visitor, a morning Stockmann, and more Leone-craze

At 5 am the doorbell rang. I reacted like a Russian, meaning that I did not make a sound and started thinking rather intensively about the locations of all the sharp and/or heavy metal objects in the house the case the visitor would be really insistent. The doorbell rang again. I waited. There was no sound of a person walking away. After a few minutes I got up very quietly and looked out through the peephole. Nobody there.

I wonder who it was. The bell ringing all by itself is pretty much out of the question. Anybody who knows me surely knows better than just to ring the doorbell at 5am. Besides, the building is not easy to get into. If it were a neighbor in distress they would probably be ringing and banging on the other doors, too. Any officials would've made more noise, too.

Couldn't sleep properly after that either.

Went to Stockmann in the morning to buy lunch. A sale just started and there was a whole army of grandmothers in the grocery department. Every single one of them had short curly hair, which is kind of amazing in a country of mostly straight-haired people. Of course you see the same in the US, too, but there there is a good chance that a lot of the grandmas have naturally curly hair. Whoever has convinced all the senior citizens of Finland to get a perm is a marketing genius.

I thought that buying and watching Per qualche dollaro in più would finally satisfy my Sergio Leone appetite. But today in a store somehow C'era una volta il West jumped into my hands and demanded to be bought, and what can you do?


No comments: