Monday, July 19, 2004

The Senate vote

The Senate vote on whether to vote on the anti-gay-marriage has come and gone. The proponents of voting on the amendment had to get 60 votes to get their way. They got only 48 against 50. And guess who were the two who graced the senate with their shining absense that day? Why, our future fearless leaders Kerry and Edwards, of course.

Are we about to get the most spineless presidency in the recorded history? Don't get me wrong, I have always liked Kerry well enough as a senator. He is my senator, after all. I've always voted for him. He's been a senator for as long as I could remember and I can't recall him doing anything objectionable. Or anything at all, for that matter. This can be a nice feature in a senator, but these are troubled times - is it a good idea to have a president who always has two diametrically opposed opinions on every issue and always bends down to tie his shoelaces when he is not sure whether or not he should bow to someone?

OTOH the alternative is another fearless leader with a two-digit IQ who is very sure of being always right and would cheerfully lead the country to a great end if he only could. Well, I guess that a spineless weasel is better that a moron with initiative.

Is it just me, or does anybody else notice that the quality of the presidential candidate material in the US is falling with every election? Used to think it couldn't go lower than Dukakis, but apparently was wrong.


No comments: