Thursday, July 29, 2004

Amazing disappearing umbrella trick

I don't normally use umbrellas. I've had maybe 3 of them when I was 14 years old. Each was used exactly once. Every time I went out of the house with an umbrella I lost it. I don't know why. I don't normally lose stuff, at least not often.

I figured umbrellas were not for me and did not buy or otherwise acquire any more of them until, 3 years ago, I inherited one from my grandmother. It had been hanging happily on my coat rack all these 3 years. Yesterday I woke up, saw the Mother of All Rains outside and decided to give the umbrella a try. It worked, in the sense of making me a lot less wet than I would otherwise have been. I rejoiced, thinking that I am not gonna lose this one and that from now on I'll use it every time it's raining hard enough. I was happy with it. Until the fucking thing dematerialized.

That's what it did, otherwise I can't imagine where it went. One moment it was in my hand as I was standing at a bus stop, the next moment I was in the bus and it wasn't there. I am pretty sure I'd have noticed if I dropped it on the ground.

Go figure.


No comments: