Monday, March 12, 2007

On current politics

The election is coming. Of course I cannot vote because I am a foreigner (with a bit of luck I just might become a citizen before the next election) but this doesn't stop me from browsing the politicians and thinking whom I'd like to vote for if I could.

If I could, I would vote for Jussi Halla-aho. Not because I agree with him on many things, and not even because I agree with him on most immigration- and multiculturalism-related things - in fact I don't think I do - but because I think that some things really, really need to be talked about in Eduskunta, and he is the best person to talk about them.

My second favorite issue is Lex Karpela (or should it change its name to Lex Saarela now?), so if i were a citizen and were not voting for Jussi Halla-aho, I'd vote for one of the people who want to do something about it.

Aside from these two issues - the election questionnaires tend to give me various Kokoomus people, which probably does not surprise anyone who follows this blog. One thing that surprised me while I was browsing this questionnaire: the nuclear energy has become a litmus test issue for me. I have always been for it, but now I absolutely won't vote for anyone who is against it.

I am too lazy to list all the things that I am for or against, but one more thing: the student subsidies and the tuition fees. I've never had any opinion on student subsidies, and still don't, but I find it disturbing that somebody would want to keep the subsides too low for people to live on, and simultaneously penalize the students who take too long to graduate because they have to work. At least pick one.

No comments: