Monday, February 21, 2005

Androgyny and dislike thereof

My tastes in men's looks run rather strongly towards androgynous in many ways, and always have. I have always received some amount of unconstructive criticism about the fact, mostly from women and from men who are not sufficiently androgynous for my taste. The latter is understandable for evolutionary reasons, but why the women?

Also, the amount of flak I have gotten for it has significantly reduced with age. It would be interesting to know whether this is a function of me moving from one place to another, of a general culture change, or of the change in my age.

Also, when I was young the accusations ran towards "you must be a closet lesbian", and now they run towards "you must be a closet pedophile". I wonder whether that change came about because you can't easily accuse a teenage girl of being a pedophile, or because it's not politically correct nowadays to express one's disapproval by accusing somebody of being a closet lesbian.

No comments: