Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Paranoia strikes again

I went to a pharmacy and bought a pregnancy test. Gonna take it in a few days.

It's a bug in my head, I know. Sometimes - every once in a few months - I feel a very strong desire to buy a pregnancy test, and feel quite restless until I do. Even though I realize that a 33-year-old woman who has an IUD, is on the pill, and is currently having her period is very unlikely to be pregnant.

One day I'll be sterilized, but I don't think the madness will end there. I am wondering until what age will I buy the tests. 60? 70?

I am sure this is some kind of a minor brain chemistry problem, but in the current state of medical science it's a lot cheaper and safer to indulge into this particular sort of madness than to try to cure it, so there.

I am thinking with horror about menopause and the time when pills are dangerous and periods are rare. By the time I am 50 I am probably sterilized, still have an IUD and go totally ballistic every time I miss a period, which is most of the time by then.

The hormone IUD, BTW, is not a good method for the paranoid.


No comments: