Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Christmas

A couple of weeks ago I went out on Saturday during the daytime and realized that the stores are full of people. "What the hell is going on?" - I thought, and then realized that it is Christmas again. The Great Infidel Holiday.

Every year I decide to stay out of the way of infidels and let them shop in peace by themselves, but every year the chocolate sales are way too intersting to miss. Well, at least I manage to stay away from stores other than those that sell food, drink and books.

Christmas looks a bit stressful from an outsider's point of view, but I like it precisely because it is not my holiday and I don't have to do anything at all. Let other people worry about gifts and cards and parties and suchlike. I never do anything, and people just invite me over and feed me some exotic infidel food, such as ham or perunalaatikko. They usually don't expect me to do anything except maybe bring booze or bake something chocolatey.

The only Christmas setback that I've had was at the Aspekti party, when I realized that you can't trust Christians (or at least that one particular Christian) to make a proper Christmas rice pudding anymore. This is depressing, because I got accustommed to that stuff. I guess I will just have to buy rice and milk and make some Christmas pudding like a good Jew.


No comments: