Thursday, April 22, 2004

Krav Maga

Finally dragged my ass there for the first time after the flu. I was really bad, but it was good to start training again. Most of the lesson was sparring, and Nina, with whom I sparred today, kicked my ass all the time, even though I managed to get a few kicks in, too. Having much longer arms and legs helps a lot even if the other person is a lot more skillful.

Nina says that when you kick a man (as opposed to a woman, she thinks) and punch him right in the moment when he is trying to block the kick, the punch will go through. The problem is, it works on me too even though am obviously not a man. I tried to do it on Nina, but don't have the skill of positioning myself right: I kick her and at the same moment notice that I should be punching her right now but am too far away.

Nina is a very good sparring partner, has a lot of good advice, which I am even mostly able to follow.

Boxing gloves have a way of making your hands smell like very old socks. Ugh.

Turns out that when you are testing for the third or fourth level (which means that the problem will not be current for me for at least a year) you get to spar for a few minutes with some really big guru. Scary. Guru will kick my very ungurulike ass.


No comments: