Monday, July 30, 2007

The joys of shopping

Shopping is fun.

Oh, I hate shopping when I really have to buy something, especially clothes. OTOH I love shopping when I am just walking around the city from one store to another seeing if there is anything nice I can buy.

On Saturday I went shopping, feeling a vague desire to buy a computer case and some ice cream. I came back without a case or ice cream, but instead I bought a pair of shoes, a gigabyte of memory and some huge yellow soup plates. And I don't even eat soup (but soup plates are convenient for salad, too).

I have almost forgotten how exciting it is to have a memory upgrade. I wish I could do it every time I am in need of cheering up. Unfortunately the motherboard - any motherboard - has a limited number of slots.

I was sorta susprised that my kernel (2.6.18-4-486) did not want recognize the new memory right away. Switched to 2.6.18-4-686-bigmem, even though that is meant for really big memories. Works, anyway.

Bought a pair of Crocs, too, to see what the fuss was all about. Unfortunately the model I wanted does not come in funky colors. They are nice, though. A bit overrated maybe, but they are very light and reasonably soft.

No comments: