Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Support Denmark. And France, and Germany too.

(Links via the Pensieve)

While I was only dreaming of supporting Denmark with cheese, France Soir and Die Welt provided much more direct support by reprinting some or all of the cartoons. I guess all Muslims have already seen them in Jyllands-Posten, the most popular newspaper in the Islamic world, but the Western world still needs to see them.

I hope Helsingin Sanomat will follow suit, and at least one paper from each Western country as well. It would be good for people to see what exactly all the fuss was about.

All the talk about how irresponsible that was and how freedom of speech should not extend to printing stuff that would hurt people's feelings makes me think that the freedom of speech is not in such a good shape in the West, either. Really, people, I understand that there are limits, like screaming "fire" in a crowded theater or divulging state secrets to the enemy, but offence? Get this: the concept of the freedom of speech was not invented to protect people's right to say "the weather is lovely today", but precisely to protect the kind of speech other people find offensive.

I guess the Danish cheese will have to be washed down with French sparkling wine. Might have a German salmon pie while I am at it.

No comments: