Thursday, January 26, 2006

Trendiness

I don't understand why some people disapprove of it when some thing they like suddenly becomes trendy. During my lifetime a lot of things I like have become trendy, and I have never seen anything bad come out of it, and a lot of good.

I have liked sudoku and kakuro puzzles for at least 15 years now, from the time when I lived in the US and they were called "number place" and "cross sums", respectively. I always had to get the damn things from the US, until they finally - thank God - became trendy here and can now be bought in any grocery store. What's not to like? Ditto for many other things I like, such as sushi and Thai food and 70s clothes.

I mean, I can understand the a lot of people might enjoy the feeling of exclusivity, but can it really beat getting whatever you want easily?

Talking about trends: I notice some 80s fashions coming back, and I would like to say: "Nooooooooo!!!!!" The ugliest fashions of my lifetime were in the late eighties.

No comments: