Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Life is the curse of the blogging classes

(My apologies to Oscar Wilde and muttawa for the paraphrase. Except that this is not a paraphrase because paraphrase is when you put the same meaning into another form, and this is the other way around. Whatever. If anyone remembers the right word, do tell.)

Life included a small-scale celebration of the Old Russian New Year (was a lot of fun but put me off alcohol for probably a week and off chocolate mousse for months to come), trying to find out what is that "sleep" thing that some friends were talking about (did not go very well, especially not during the night when I was kneeling in front in the Big White Porcelain God and sacrificing semidigested chocolate mousse to it), re-watching Buffy (in the middle of season 4 now), upgrading my computer and simultaneously fighting the Forces of Darkness (or rather the nForces of nVidia).

Having not learned from the previous 512 experiences, I decided to upgrade the kernel from 2.6.12 to 2.6.15, after which both kernels promptly stopped working. 2.6.15 booted but X was fucked up and it did not find the Net. 2.6.12 failed to boot and the machine was giving lots of "too much work in interrupt" warnings. I have a fine motherboard (Asus A8N-VM CSM) that puts all the hardware it can find on the same interrupt.

Anyway, I considered a lot of desperate measures, up to and including installing SuSE, but then the fucking thing just recovered. I booted it and it found the Net. I booted it many times, and it still found the Net. And then I installed and uninstalled the same nVidia driver many times and X started to work.

Surely the Forces of Darkness are at work here. Please kick my ass if I ever decide to buy anything made by nVidia again. Or by Asus.

No comments: