Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Congress, the opposite of progress

A few days ago the Congress decided to let Terri Schiavo's parents move the matters from the state to the federal courts. This was a Republican idea, which is very interesting considering that usually Republican are the ones who clamor for the state rights and complain about the evil federal government. Apparently it is indeed different when it is yours. The federal government, I mean.

They don't seem to talk that much about the sanctity of marriage either, now that they don't want Schiavo's husband to make decisions for her.

I am not quite sure why the Congress did it. I understand that this is a matter of life and death and votes, but according to the opinion polls a majority of Americans, including the majority of Republicans, is for letting her die.

Schiavo's father said that she smiled when she heard about the new law. Note to the Congress: if even the people with no cognitive function find your new legislation funny, maybe you are doing something wrong.

Note to everyone who might be making decisions for me: if I am ever in a persistent vegetative state, kill me. If I am in a permanent state when I can think but not move or communicate, kill me. If Randall Terry ever tries to take part in that decision - well, you know who you have to kill but it would be probably illegal for me to say it here.

No comments: