Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Color streaks

For the first time in 29 years I dragged my ass (and hair) to a hairdresser on account of the fact that I wanted to try Elumen hair color and they don't sell it to mere mortals, but just to hairdressers.

The place was Hiusneito in Herttoniemi, and the hairdresser was a blond young woman who honestly admitted she did not have a lot of experience with Elumen. Three different-color streaks cost 50 euros, which is a lot but not so bad for a hairdresser expenditure for 29 years. She did pretty much what I asked and I was satisfied.

The rest id probably only interesting to people who like playing with Elumen:

I have medium brown (that's dark brown for you Finns) hair, about 5 on Elumen's darkness scale. It has a fair lor of occasional strands of sowewhat-orangey-yellow, and nowadays also a noticeable (5% maybe) amount of gray. The idea was to cover the gray by getting some funky color on it, or at least by getting a non-funky color.

One streak was a 1:1 mix of KK and RR (orange and red), one was a 1:1 mix of KB and GK (something brownish and bright yellow) and one was a mix of BB and VV (blue and violet) which had a bit mote blue than violet. I had asked her for mostly blue with a tiny bit of violet, but after she mixed a bit more violet in it than I asked for the color on the bowl was so pretty that I just had to try it. All of this was applied straight over the natural color, with no bleaching.

The results:

The blue-violet made my brown hair a considerably darker and ashier brown. The gray hairs became blue-violet and give the whole thing a violet shade which is stronger at the roots where I have more gray. The gray does not stand out.

The yellow had no effect on the brown hair and made the gray hairs yellow. It is a bit birghter and less-orangey yellow than my natural yellow hairs, but I think it blends in nicely.

The red was a bit of a disappointment. It looks so beautiful on Yoe, but Yoe has very different hair. It made my hair a bit reddish and the gray hair orangey-pink, and the gray still stands out.

Now I feel like running back there and dyeing the rest of my hair, except that I haven't decided whether I want the violet, the yellow or maybe violet in the lower part and yellow in the upper. Besides I want to see how well the color holds.

No comments: