Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Misadventures in computer update, again

Updated my system again. Realized that the reason why kdm does weird things is not that there is something wrong with my graphic card, but that there is something wrong with kdm. Changed to gdm. Works.

The thing refused to install the new kernel. At first I superstitiouly thought that it got tired of my constant updating, but then I fixed some symbolic link and the thing got installed propoerly. We'll see if it will boot tonight.

Skype stopped working in some mysterious way. Gotta look into it.

And what I really want to know: why is thrice-fucked KDE changing my config files every time I update it? I realize that there might be some new config options that it might want to add, but one could think that if did not want it to make warning sounds with the old version I won't suddenly want that after the update, either, right? Right? Suddenly the thing starts making the most horrible warning sounds, the sound of breaking bottles. Ugh.

Konqueror (3.5.1) keeps crashing as soon as I look at it. Might be that it got some interesting new bug since 3.5.0, but most probably it just fucked up all configurations beyond all imagination. Ugh.

No comments: