Friday, May 26, 2006

Looking for ADSL

Time to look for a new broadband connection.

Saunalahti does not serve my new building. Sonera has just taken more that 4 months to get Anu her broadband, which is a bit slow. Elisa... well, Elisa is Elisa. DNA sold their broadband to "kimppakiva" 24 Online and I don't feel that close to my neighbors yet. My new neighbors, that is. My current neighbors are damn well close enough, I can hear everything they do.

Right now I am considering Suomicom or Maxinetti. The appealing thing about Suomicom is that they promise 2M and 3M upstream, although in my area it is just "coming soon". A couple of years ago there was a lot of complaints about them; right now there are none, which can be because they have improved or because they do not have any customers anymore. Their webpage sucks and has outdated information, and very little useful information at all; customer service by email is, however, quite good, or at least they answered all my questions quite fast and to my satisfaction. The buggers don't have an IRC server, but that's OK.

Maxinetti has a more respectable webpage and probably more customers, but they are not promising any 2M and 3M upstream. But their support works on weekends, which is nice.

If any of my readers has any experience with either of these, please tell me how you like it.

One thing I am quite sure about: I am not going for any of those "commit to us for 12 months and we waive the installation fee" things. That much faith I do not have.

No comments: