Friday, September 17, 2004

Fucking neighbors, wines, patriotism and shopping

My neighbors have sex a lot. This is quite normal, but do they really have to scream so loudly in the process, especially when doing it at 1:30 am? They were at it again when I came home last night, and their blood-curdling screams resonated throughout the building, surely endangering its structural elements. Why do they need to scream so loudly unless they are using Tabasco sauce instead of AquaGlide?

Yesterday went to a Mikä Viini (a wine-tasting event) in the Sipuli restaraunt. Lovely event, lots of wines for very little money. Should've come there earlier, although if I did I would have probably not been able to leave the building on my own. Tasted a truckload of wines for 4 euros in 45 minutes. E&J Gallo Frei Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon 1999 was the very best I tasted there, and filled my heart with a rather unusual amount of patriotic pride. Too bad I am not likely to taste it often, it's almost 30 euros in Alko. Vina Albali Gran Reserva 1997 was quite good too, and sells for a much more moderate price of 9.25. Tarapaca La Cuesta Cabernet Sauvignon Syrah was also very good, and is also 9.96. The rest were not very memorable.

We were there with Anu, Satu, Ebu and Juha. Didn't have enough chairs, so I sat in Juha's lap for a while. Juha survived and later in a whisky bar went on to demonstrate us that, contrary to the popular belief, I do not have the foulest mouth in the known universe. We played guillotine there, and those who like whisky drank it, and I tasted a blueberry cider instead. It was pretty good as ciders go, but I still wouldn't drink it on a regular basis.

About patriotism (or lack thereof): some time during the day yesterday I suddenly realized how much I hate Russia. I mean, I know that I hate Russia, and those of you who follow the blog regularly probably know it too, but every once in a while this hate comes up in a very strong and immediate way, and yesterday was one of those. I really do wish for Russia's destruction, at least to the extent that does not bother its neighbors much. I don't mean "bomb the cities, kill the population" kind of destruction but disappearance as a nation, falling apart into many small countries.

I'd always wondered about statements "hate only hurts the person who hates" and similar. You hear them often, and yet I haven't usually found my hatred to be hurtful to myself, in fact mostly kind of pleasant. Considering how popular hate is, I reckon a lot of other people don't find it very hurtful to themselves either.

Went shopping in Anttila. Shouldn't, really, as am broke once again, but who can resist Michelle Yeoh and Jet Li for 7.95? Also ordered Firefly from Amazon. Finally gonna have my very own copy of Firefly.


No comments: