Monday, July 03, 2006

R.I.P. grandma, part 2

Grandma was buried on Friday, in the normal way of nonobservant American Jews (Jewish cemetery, funeral home, lots of people, a rabbi who does not mention god too often and keeps his speech short, a Hebrew prayer no one understands, speeches by relatives, and a party afterwards). I was obviously absent; my aunt less obviously so.

My father spoke about her at the funeral, and he mentioned that she was one of the few people who have never stopped changing and learning new things.

I told him what I wrote here. He answered that the moral fiber was not completely absent from grandma's life: one thing she has always refused to do, for moral reasons, was joining the Communist party. Even though her career almost required it and they pressured her about it all the time.

No comments: