Friday, December 17, 2004

2046 (maybe spoilers)

Saw 2046 yesterday. Like it usually happens when I watch Wong Kar-Wai's movies, on one hand I got a feeling that this is totally not my thing and that I don't understand it at all, and on the other hand I am glad I went to see it and will go to see his next movie as well.

I found it profoundly disturbing that the characters were speaking different languages to each other, for example there were long and seemingly natural-looking dialogues where one party was speaking Cantonese and the other Mandarin. I wonder whether it's just the version that was released in the West, or whether the China and Hong Kong versions also have these two-language dialogues.

The cast is not quite as starry as they advertise: they got lots of Chinese stars but some just for a moment. There is two seconds on Chang Chen, five seconds of Maggie Cheung Man Yuk, and a little bit more Gong Li and Carina Lau Ka Ling. Tony Leung Chiu Wai is there most of the time though, although he is wearing the most horrible moustache in the history of motion picture, and Zhang Ziyi and Faye Wong have decent-sized roles. All the cast gives a rather good performance, too.

The futuristic stuff should have been left out. The rest of it was nice.


No comments: