Thursday, June 10, 2004

Lidl and strawberries

Today they opened a new Lidl in Herttoniemi and I decided to give it a personal inspection on my way to work, figuring there would not be a lot of people at that time. I was wrong: it was full of Somalis, people on welfare, Russians, housewives, Gypsies, senior citizens, software engineers on their way to work and other shady characters. Normally it wouldn't bother me, but since Lidl does not have shopping baskets and everybody is using a cart crowded Lidl tends to get on my nerves. Otherwise it was all right, exactly the same selection of stuff as in any other Lidl even though this is the biggest one I've seen so far. The only difference was that in this Lidl they had baggers, which is normally unheard of in Finland except in Stockmann during Hullujen Päivät. This was the silliest thing I'd ever seen in a grocery store: baggers without bags. Each register had an employee standing next to it and trying to load the groceries back into customers' carts, which was very annoying if these customers were trying to pack those same groceries into bags at the same time.

Didn't even have cheap Spanish strawberries, sniff. They had expensive Finnish ones instead. In general it looks like the Finnish strawberry season is starting, unfortunately for me. For some reason Finns usually prefer Finnish produce and especially Finnish strawberries. I could never understand why until I finally realized that most Finns in general prefer the sweeter and softer varieties of strawberries that are not usually imported except maybe from Sweden. My loss, I guess, since I prefer firmer and more sour varieties and at some point these are nowhere to be found.


No comments: